Thursday, April 4, 2013

To Sir With Love: A Tribute to Roger Ebert


I remember when I first discovered that television and movies were something that people actually MADE. I was sitting on the couch, a few feet from my father (who was still the ultimate voice of authority) watching an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. The captain and all his red shirts had charged off on some unlikely scheme that I knew was doomed to disaster, so I turned to my dad and asked: “Why did they do that? It doesn't make any sense.” To which my dad responded (as he still does to any film criticism) “Because it’s in the script.”

From that time on I knew the score. The people and worlds that enthralled me on the screen were creations, puppets of real people who wrote stories and made props and pretended on camera. A little bit of the magic died for me, but a new bit of magic took its place. Why did they do things the way they did? What was right and what was wrong? And how do I put into words the feelings I get when I watch a film, how do I even know why I feel what I feel?

Again, it was my father who introduced me to the next piece of knowledge that would change the way I thought about entertainment. Though my dad - who worked three jobs for little pay to provide for five children - didn't stay awake through more than a handful of movies during my entire childhood (probably because of his struggle with severe health problems while also working so tirelessly) he made a point of watching two men talk about movies on PBS. The two, a toad-like man in huge glasses, and a skinny, balding naysayer, would give their trademark thumbs up or thumbs down, and if both thumbs were down, then my dad, who didn't buy into film criticism, would declare that THAT was the movie we were going to see.

This was how I found Siskel and Ebert at the Movies.

Siskel and Ebert were a great pairing. Like a classic comedy duo, one was fat, one skinny, one short, one tall, one quiet and sarcastic, one loud and bombastic. Both were from Chicago, and both wore horrible 90’s sweaters and lounged around in what looked like the oddest movie theater I’d ever seen. They were The Muppet Show’s Waldorf and Statler in the flesh, and like those grumpy old puppets they groused and argued their way through each week’s releases with obvious relish. I loved watching them describe all the movies I was either too young or too poor to see, and as I watched them more and more it made me realize that there was more to movies than passive viewing. That film should start a conversation and make statements that could stay with you beyond the end credits. That their creators can and should be questioned, and that a meaningful story passionately told is far more important than flash or popularity or box office figures.

My favorite by far was Ebert. Though he WAS toad-like and sometimes even seemed cold blooded, he was funny. He made me laugh and by doing so he made me think. He achieved many great things in his life, such as being the first film critic to win the Pulitzer Prize, and the first to place his name on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but numbered among his successes is the 10 year-old boy who looked for the story elements in George of the Jungle, or was scandalized by his thumbs down to The Pagemaster, or eventually grew to try his hand at criticism himself. Anything I type in this blog is my meager attempt to be as fair, as erudite, and as funny as that man in owlish glasses who existed in my TV along with all of the other characters he spoke about week to week.

There are many better writers than I that will talk about Roger Ebert’s life, his triumphs, his long struggle with illness, and the vast affect he had on entertainment in America, but I can only speak to his legacy in my own life. He taught me that the worlds and characters I love ARE magic. Even more so now than when I was 10, because he gave me the tools to appreciate the love and craft that goes into making the best movies work. He also taught that I’m a part of the movie. That the source of a film’s power is what I bring to it as a viewer, and what I carry away with me. I make the magic too. If he was faced then with that little boy confused by Star Trek, Ebert might have quoted himself: “Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions never lie to you.”

I hope that his family finds some peace over the coming days, as does Roger. He wrote all the way to the end, saying: “When I am writing, my problems become invisible, and I am the same person I always was, All is well. I am as I should be.” If there is some heaven, he’ll be writing still.



PS: When Esquire magazine asked him what movie would be shown beyond the pearly gates, and what snacks would be served, he answered, Citizen Kane and vanilla Häagen-Dazs ice cream.” I can see him there, sweater and all.


PPS: Here’s just one person who said all this far better than me:
"Roger, I hope you're in an infinite movie palace, watching every film the great directors only dreamed of making. RIP,” -- Patton Oswalt

No comments:

Post a Comment