Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Nerd 5 Presents: Top 5 Reasons to See Liberal Arts


Sometimes there are films that feel like they were made just for you. Liberal Arts was made just for me. Now, I’ll be kind and I’ll share the film with all of you, but just know that Liberal Arts was made for me. My love for this film is very personal; it may not strike you as it strikes me. However, I’d be willing to put this up against any film in recent memory. Here comes Nerd 5’s Top 5 Reasons to see Liberal Arts…. By the way, I’m writing this while watching the film for a third time…straight.

File:Liberal Arts FilmPoster.jpeg 5. Its Flawed

Before I start gushing over the film, starring, written, and directed by Josh Radnor (the lead of CBS’s How I Met Your Mother) let me say it has its flaws. Overall I would say that Liberal Arts tries to be far more pretentious then it needs to be,  it puts way too much gravitas on it subject matter and glorifies college and it’s weird eccentricities (although it does point that last fact out in the film.) Liberal Arts couldn’t be more indy film cliché if it tried. Each scene ends with a “lesson learned” or “life quote” and it can feel a little heavy handed. The message behind the film is that anyone can be a teacher and anyone can be student if only we are open-minded, a message that is driven into us time and time again.  I only point these out as “flaws” because I know that they are flaws, but honestly theey are part of the reason I love this film.  

4. Josh Radnor Works with What He Knows

It’s obvious that Radnor comes from a TV background because the film is shot like a television episode, containing small sequences that can stand on their own but build to a unified story, and Radnor spends plenty of time developing small characters that only serve one purpose. However, this benefits the film in many ways, because you quickly get the feeling that every character we meet will help us along the way and that every character will affect our lead Jesse and contribute to his growth. This is a good thing. In a year where many films are bloated, Liberal Arts streamlines the process and gives you exactly what you need when you need it. You can tell that Radnor really understands where his characters are, and I personally think that is due to the fact that the story is very personal to him. Possibly the struggles of this characters are his personal struggles. I can’t really guess at why he wrote it, but I can say he understands and grasps a concept that a lot of us 90s and beyond kids are dealing with…. (Continues in point 3)

3. Prolonged Adolescence/When to Grow Up?

Liberal Arts’ central theme and question is “When do I become an adult?” I’m constantly struggling with this question, daily I find myself longing for a time when my biggest problem was having to get out bed before 9am and getting to class on time; then in the very next moment knowing that I’m beyond that stage and that being out in world has it’s great moments. When am I an adult? What makes you grown up? Questions I ask myself every day. Our lead character gets the chance to go back to his time of former glory. The time for him where his life was “perfect”, he gets to philosophize about new ideas, analyze and criticize vampire novels, live the life of a bygone time, eat in the dining hall and deal with roommates.  Jesse encounters many students at the university in different phases of dealing with this very question, including a girl who he fines a deep romantic connection with. All of this is contrast with a retiring professor who has never found his own answer to the question. This all just hits far too close to home, I’m not saying that the film answers any of my personal questions, but to see another character struggling with the same issues… I guess… just make a person feel like they’re not alone. “The purpose of fiction is to combat loneliness” – Jesse from Liberal Arts

2. This Could Be a More Dramatic Episode of How I Met Your Mother

Let me be clear, this is not a sitcom, it’s far more dramatic than it is comedic. But as a fan of How I Met Your Mother this was a really nice ride. Josh Radnor may not be the best actor in the world but he understands how to play Ted Mosby (his character for 8 seasons on the show). I love Liberal Arts but it feels like Ted just went back Wesleyan for a two hour special called “Growing Up Mosby.”  Jesse in Liberal Arts = Ted in Mother. Now that may actually sound like a bad thing. But it really works for the characters of this film. Also bonus if you’re not a fan of the show, than this is all new to you! The other great thing about Liberal Arts compared to Mother is that the comedic elements come from a natural place rather than a “we need a joke every 30 seconds with a laugh track” place. It’s an in-depth look at the character of Jesse, but at the same time feels like an in-depth look at the lovable Ted Mosby himself. I know I’m not supposed to like this, but… sue me… I do. It works.

1. Timing is Everything

After saying all of that, I would suggest that there is a specific time to watch Liberal Arts. If you are ever feeling lost: watch Liberal Arts. If you ever need a push in the right direction, or a push toward taking steps toward the next point in your life: watch Liberal Arts. If you need to find love in your life, personal, familial, or professional: watch Liberal Arts. If you simply feel that something in your life is off or that you need a change: Watch. Liberal. Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment