Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Top 5 Most Fun Film Experiences of 2012


By Josh Darby

Well, it’s January and for me that means three things: Car breaking down (check), football playoffs (go Seahawks!), and most importantly the Oscar race is in full swing. This year the Oscar nominations are coming out earlier than ever (They're being released this coming Thursday Jan 10th) which means that most of the big contenders have already hit theaters nationwide; there are a few exceptions but they should be out soon enough especially if they get as many Oscar nods as they are supposed to.

I was lucky enough to stumble upon a great service called Movie Pass (it’s a monthly subscription service that allows me to see as many films in theaters as I want) which has allowed me to be able to see many of this year’s contenders and pretenders. It will also allow for seeing many more films over the next year.

So what does this mean for Nerd 5? It means let the Oscar discussion begin! Each week (at least that’s the plan) we’ll be giving you a look at a specific Oscar category. We will show you what The Academy has to say, and then either Jeff, or I, or both of us will also give you what we think. It’s a fun time of year for films fans, and this Oscar season at Nerd 5 has a lot to offer and some special surprises along the way.

For a little bit of context and background on my (Josh’s) 2012 film knowledge, I have seen 38 films released in 2012 (as of Jan 6th) and this number will continue to grow. There are few notable films I have not seen: Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings Playbook, The Impossible, Frankenweenie, and Searching for Sugarman. My goal is to see all of these as well as any other nominated film that I may have missed. This means there's still a lot of film watching for me to do! (I'll include at the bottom of the article a list of the 2012 films I've seen, if for some reason you are interested.)

With that being said, this week’s top five is a more personal one. Since the actual nominations come out in just a few days I wanted to give you a top 5 that has a little to do with my year at the movies. Basic guidelines for this week’s top five, be an enjoyable experience going to the movie, which is a combination of film, people, theater, and overall experience. Not all of these are great movies, but they helped shape my personal 2012 and quite frankly I think are worth a watch. Let jump right to Josh’s Top Five!

Top 5 Most Fun Film Experiences of 2012


5. Django Unchained —Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Karry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Dir. Quentin Tarantino

The official Nerd 5 film of the year! No… we are not endorsing this as the best film of the year. But it is the one film that Jeff and I got to see in theaters together. Christmas night I went with my blog partner in crime (and my best friend) along with my girl. I couldn't ask for more. The movie itself was exactly what you think it will be, and if you like Tarantino then it’s a very enjoyable watch. Good times can be had by all, and what better way to celebrate the holiday season then by going to the theater with the people you love to watch Christoph Waltz and Leo DiCaprio give two of the best performances of the year?

4. Parental Guidance – Billy Crystal, Bette Midler, Marisa Tomei, Tom Everett Scott, Dir. Andy Fickman

Every once in while you watch a film at just the right point in time and it hits home. Parental Guidance was a film that I only saw because I have Movie Pass. It’s my personal goal to see everything that I can, so with that in mind I went to the theater after a very bad day needing something mindless to shut my brain off and escape. Enter Parental Guidance. Now, I’m not saying by any means that this movie is amazing. But for what it is, it’s not bad. It’s fluff, it’s cliche, it’s something that will be on TBS for years to come, but honestly it’s enjoyable. Parental Guidance is the typical story of a family who isn't close, but over the course of the film they learn to love each other and become closer. It's... uh...

But you know what, Billy Crystal is entertaining, the kids are adorable and it helps that I’m a baseball fan (Crystal’s character is baseball announcer, which he uses it to bond with his grandkids). Parental Guidance makes the list for simply being in the right place at the right time.
  
3. The Avengers Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Cobie Smulders, Stellan Skarsgard, Samuel L. Jackson, Dir. Joss Whedon

Okay. I've talked enough about The Avengers on this blog, It’s clear that I love it. I saw this three times in theaters (the most of any film this year). It makes the list at number three because, well… I saw it three times, each time better than the last and it can’t be number one all the time.

2. The Hunger Games Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Stanley Tucci, Wes Bentley, Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson, Dir. Gary Ross

One of the things that I enjoy most in world is midnight showings. First off, because you have to be pretty excited to see a movie starting at midnight, second, the theater is usually filled with people who also are fans of film and will give a honest reaction to it, and third, it's an event. Going to the movies used to be a BIG event, something to look forward to. Now it’s just something people do. But when you have a special showing, something you can only do at that time, and get to be one of the first people to experience a film, it becomes an event again. So when I showed up to the midnight premier of The Hunger Games I knew nothing about the story, so how did I end up there? Well, it was my last night in LA so I gathered a group of friends together and what better thing to do in LA than see a movie? The experience of seeing it with a bunch of Hunger Games fanatics was great, they reacted to everything and the film itself was pretty good too, an above average summer blockbuster. Sometimes all it takes to enjoy a film is to get together with a great group of friends and make it an event! Don’t worry LA friends, I’ll be back soon!

1. The Cabin in the Woods – Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemswroth, Anna Hutchison,  Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams, Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford, Dir. Drew Goddard

What’s a better experience than seeing a great film for the first time? Nothing. This was a film that I knew very little about going in (except who wrote it – Joss Whedon(!!!!!!!!!!) – and who directed it – Drew Goddard (a writer on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel(!!!!!!!!!)). That is exactly how you should see this film: know as little about as you can about it. Which is why I’m not saying a word. To me this was the best experience of the year because I was shocked, overjoyed, laughed, tricked, and went on an adventure with the characters. This was all about good old, good filmmaking. From front to back it was a great film. 

Postscript!

Jeff here! You'll be hearing more from me in the coming weeks. I have a lot of thoughts about The Life of Lincoln's Skyfalling Atlas of Unchained Miserables, so you can look forward to that. In the meantime I wanted to bring up a few honorable mentions not on Josh's list:

Wreck-It Ralph, which gets two giant thumbs (attached to oversized hands and arms) up as the feel-good animated movie of the year, which still had some shockingly dark and heartfelt moments. Plus Alan Tudyk. Love him.

The Life of Pi, which I can, and will, go on and on about. Look forward to 277 days of me muttering at sea.

and a quick shout out for the worst steaming heap of disappointment in 2012. Prometheus. Prometheus. You are a shithead.


No comments:

Post a Comment