Sunday, January 20, 2013

Top 5 Best Directed Films of 2012


The Oscar nominations have been announced! And boy do I have some issues, although I am quite happy that all of you Dark Knight Rises fans can sit at home crying about your ZERO nominations. Let’s start the weekly Oscar article off with one of the big categories, and one that I disagree with quite a bit. Let’s look at the Oscar nominations for Best Director.

The FIRST name and film listed will be MY pick for a best director of the year and the name and film AFTER the slash mark will be The ACADEMY’s nominee.

Also three little symbols will appear next some films, here’s what they mean:
  • MP – my pick of the 5 Oscar nominated films
  • OP – who I think The Academy will pick
  • 2012 – my pick out of all the 2012 films.

Alright, so what makes a good film director? Here’s a quick outline of what I look for in a film and the standards by which I track them, in no particular order. Again these are guidelines, each should be done well in order for a film and director to succeed, but these aren’t necessarily things that only a director does:


  • All parts of the film are creatively produced
  • All parts of the film are working towards a singular vision
  • There is a clear and distinct interpretation of the script
  • Solid performances by the cast
  • All parts of the production also work to tell an artful story
  • The film is cohesive visually, through shot selection, shot variation and specific use of what is in each frame.

5.  Quentin Tarantino – Django Unchained / Michael Haneke – Amour

I have to say, I didn’t quite think Tarantino would sneak into my top 5, but when I was going through all of the possibilities, he just kept moving his way up. So this is where good ol’ QT falls in this year. Django Unchained succeeds in all of the listed criteria above, and Tarantino is always good at getting his actors to go above and beyond. However, while Tarantino is great at what he does, he does need to break his mold a little if he ever wants to get over the hump and move up this list. Good job Quentin, you know how make a film-and make it well-now take that skill and get out of your comfort zone. I’d love to see what you can do.

As for Michael Haneke… I’ve not seen Amour and I really have no desire to. I know that it received several Oscar nominations including Best Picture and Best Actress (Emmanuelle Riva), but I really I can’t see myself enjoying this film. A brief synopsis of Amour reads like this: A retired couple deals with aftermath of the wife suffering a debilitating stroke… and it’s all in French. Have fun reading this barn burner folks, I doubt I’m seeing it.

4. Stephen Spielberg – Lincoln(OP)

I saw Lincoln, and it’s real good. It’s exactly what you think it is, and it’s held up by the strong shoulders of Daniel Day-Lewis as President Lincoln. Minus one really awful opening sequence, Spielberg did a very good job as well. But much like Tarantino, Lincoln is right in Spielberg’s wheel house and he does nothing new with it. Both are cases of directors doing what they’re good at, what we already know what they’re good at, but since they do it really well that’s ok. The Oscars and I both agree that Spielberg should be up for best director. I don’t think he should win, I’ve got three people who are better, but I do think this is the way the academy is going to go.

3. Tom Hooper – Les Miserables / David O. Russell – Silver Linings Playbook

Starting this time with The Academy’s pick, David O. Russell, who is a good director (Jeff disagrees) and Silver Linings Playbook is nominated several times over, including all four acting categories, so there must be something right about this movie. I live in a town where it still hasn’t opened. Maybe the Oscars will finally give us a week worth of showings. Here’s to hoping.

On to someone who I consider to be quite a big snub. Tom Hooper for Les Miserables. This is where we talk about the directors who not only succeeded at all of the above criteria, but went above and beyond. Hooper tired something that isn’t done in film anymore (or ever, really), he sang his musical live on-set and it paid off. His actors give great performances… well most of them (please read the rest of this sentence in the most condescending way possible) Russell Crowe tried really hard.

The visual story that was told is great, and each scene helps push the film forward. The scene that really hooked me-and the most iconic from the film-was Anne Hathaway singing I Dreamed A Dream. It is simply breathtaking. From the choice to do it all in one shot, to doing it in extreme close up and lighting only her face and nothing else, this scene is just one of many bold choices in Les Miserables. I say this Oscar snub is the third best director of the year.

2. Ang Lee – Life of Pi / Ben Zeitlin – Beasts of the Southern Wild

Let’s take a look at Ben Zeitlin’s Beasts of the Southern Wild, this year’s “little indy film that could” Beasts did quite well for itself at this year’s Oscars, and it’s a great film to boot. Where Zeitlin and his team (credited in the film as The Court 13) succeeded was in setting a mood, tone and style for the film. When watching Beasts you are quickly transported to the fictional island known as “The Bathtub” outside of New Orleans at the time of hurricane Katrina. If you noticed on my personal list Zeitlin did not appear, however if we were Nerd 6 he totally would have. But what held him back for me is that the film is actually credited to The Court 13. A group of people made this film, and even Zeitlin himself has said that he’s not the sole director. He is is one of many talented filmmakers. Zeitlin was chosen by the group after the film was finished to be the “director” in name. I felt this was reason enough to leave him out, though it’s no comment on the quality of the film.

As for Ang Lee… Well let’s go to #1 to discuss him.

1. Ben Affleck – Argo(2012) / Ang Lee – Life of Pi(MP)

Out of the 5 people nominated for the Best Director Oscar, I’m rooting Ang Lee. Life of Pi is a beautiful film, a well told story, and uses new technology in ways that we’ve never seen before to put it all together and tell an amazing story. The book of Life of Pi was considered unadaptable for many years and it took the vision and passion of Ang Lee to get it on the screen and to get it done right. What Lee did is an amazing achievement, and in my point of view is easily one of the top two examples of directing this year.

Which takes us to Mr. Affleck and his film Argo. I think Affleck is the biggest Oscar snub of the year. For him to be left off the list completely is ridiculous. I know it’s hard to think of Affleck as a director, but he is-and pretty dang good one too. Argo is one of the best films of the year and a lot of that is because of the Affleck. The reason I personally pick Affleck over Lee is because Affleck is working with real actors, on real sets and locations, and actually working with real objects to make a film. Computer graphics are great, but when you can make a practical film and make it well, that is where I will always lean. 

Why Argo and Affleck over other films? Let’s look at the most direct comparison: Zero Dark Thirty. Argo succeeds in every place that Zero Dark fails. It tells a true story in an honest and suspenseful way. It adds suspense to a slow-paced war (cold war as compared to the war on terror) and makes you care about its hyper-driven lead. These are just several ways that I feel Argo is superior to Zero Dark Thirty. But if you want more on that read my other article Top 5 Reasons That Zero Dark Thirty Sucks… Kind Of.  

Affleck’s Argo is exactly what a well-directed film should be and it has lots of rewatchablity. Good job Ben. Matt will be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment