Sunday, February 17, 2013

Nerd 5 Top…10! Josh’s Best 10 Films of 2012


It’s no secret that I can be a bit of a contrarian, there’s no faster way to get me to not like something than for everyone else to sing its praises. Part of that is because expectations are too high and part is because my brain says, “Ha! I’ll be the smart who disagrees, and here are all the reasons why!” I know this about myself. Now, I’m not a complete contrarian; there are plenty of mainstream things that I love (most of them I jumped on the bandwagon for way early and have just never bothered to jump off… but still). I would describe myself as an open-minded contrarian, (Jeff may disagree *wink wink nudge nudge say no more say no more*) and I am willing to have my point of view shifted with good arguments. Most important is that the movies I love are good (Nay! Great!) films.

What does this have to do with my favorite films of 2012? Simple, everyone under the sun kept telling me how amazing 2012 was for film! Just gushing about this film, and that film, and how we were in such a great year, and how this will go down in history with ’39, ’75, ’99! My first thought was, “Woah! Hold up everyone.” If I would have stopped seeing 2012 films on December 31st then I would have been whole-heartedly against calling 2012 a great year for film. Luckily, January rolled around. The studios released their award contenders, and oh my goodness. I’ve been convinced this was a really good year for film, and I have at least 20 films that I consider great along with several more that just fell short. I’m not quite to the point of saying that it’s one of the greats of all time, however, only time will tell on that point.

My final 2012 film count is 49 out of 92 films that received a nationwide released into theatres. IF for some reason you are interested, I’ve included a full list of the 2012 films I’ve seen this year at the end of this article. What follows are a few lists to add context to why I’ve chosen the 10 films that I have, as well as my 20-11 films of the year.

Overrated Film That Films I Hated (Don’t try to defend them, it will NOT go well): Zero Dark Thirty, Anna Karenina, The Dark Knight Rises

“Important” Films I’ve Missed This Year: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Robot & Frank, The Master, The Sessions, Hitchcock, Holy Motors, Salmon Fishing in Yemen

Studio/Big Budget “Hits” I’ve Missed This Year: Prometheus, 21 Jump Street, Magic Mike, Ted, Lawless, Men In Black 3, Seven Psychopaths, The Bourne Legacy, The Campaign, The Dictator, End of Watch, Frankenweenie, Hotel Transylvania, Jack Reacher

Honorable Mentions: 20. Flight 19. Beasts of the Southern Wild 18. Cloud Atlas 17. Brave 16. Moonrise Kingdom 15. Lincoln 14. Looper 13. Bernie 12. The Perks of Being a Wallflower 11. Liberal Arts (a full blog post about this little film is coming, but find a way to see it if you can.)

10. Django Unchained A very fun script, that I think will win Best Original Screenplay this year, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio shine and have a chemistry that few actors on screen have ever had. You can tell they are having fun, as are we in the audience. This is Tarantino doing what he does well. There’s nothing new here, but it’s a very enjoyable watch. Ask me again in a week or two and this might not be here, but today it stands at 10.





9. Silver Linings Playbook I was determined not to like this film. I was wrong, it’s a very well made and very well acted film; with standout performances from every member of its ensemble. This is a small character study wrapped up in a love story and football, so it makes sense why America has fallen in love with it (it passed 100 million @ the box office). I won’t spoil the end, but the last 20min of the film are head over heels fun to watch and put this film over the top as one of the best of 2012. 


8. The Impossible This fascinating film is based on a true story of a family trying to survive the devastating Tsunami that hit Thailand. The Impossible bears a striking thematic resemblance to Beasts of the Southern Wild, but where Beasts is getting showered with praise, The Impossible is only being heralded for Naomi Watts’ (fantastically, amazing and moving) performance. The Impossible boasts an amazing ensemble cast, striking images, and a story that could move anyone who has ever loved someone to tears. This film hits all the rights notes, while still remaining uplifting and hopeful, it’s not an easy watch at times (some visuals are quite graphic) but if you’ve not seen it, don’t miss the opportunity to.



7. Les Miserables ­Eddie Redmayne, good; Sasha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter, good; Hugh Jackman, great; Anne Hathaway, fantastic; Russell Crowe… well he tired really hard. Tom Hooper’s brings this classic musical to the screen in all its glory. Telling the tale of Jean Veljean against the backdrop of the French Revolution (The Student Rebellion to be specific) with all the emotion, honesty, and depth that these characters deserve. Les Miserable is a great adaptation of the stage play.

6. The Cabin In the Woods – Easily the most misunderstood and overlooked film of 2012. Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon have written my favorite script of the year (Perks of Being a Wallfower is a very close second). Every member of the cast understands the duality of their parts and plays it to a tee. Don’t be fooled this is NOT your typical horror film, that’s why I like it. I’ll stop there, the less you know about it the better. The Cabin in the Woods is Joss Whedon magic.


5. Wreck-It Ralph I was thoroughly and completely won over by this film. While watching it I kept asking myself “How is this not a Pixar film?” Wreck-It Ralph is from Disney animation studios, who have slowly been digging themselves out of their 2000’s slump. With new direction from the heads of… wait for it… Pixar, they have finally become legit again. The students are now as good as the masters. I’m hoping this means another animation renaissance like we got in the 1990’s. Wreck-It Ralph is as good as any film this year, it’s got outstanding characters, a compelling story and far more heart than I ever thought it would. Good job, Disney, good job.

4. Safety Not Guaranteed Safety Not Guaranteed is the best indy film of 2012 and sadly got buried in July. Beautifully filmed, a story that is perfect at almost every moment and an entire cast and crew working toward the same goal and vision; Safety is such a wonderfully small sci-fi story that never feels fake, never pokes fun at itself, and treats every moment with never-ending honesty. A shout out to Aburey Plaza and Mark Duplass who are the leads of this wonderful film, and have an insane amount of chemistry on screen. I couldn’t see anyone playing their parts, the mark of an amazing performance.
3. The Avengers Did any not expect this film to be on my list? This year’s highest grossing film is also its most fun. A clever superhero film directed by the amazing Joss Whedon, this raised the bar for all future summer blockbusters. The sad thing is that now studios will think the more stars they get in a film the better it will do, when in reality the film’s success is having a person behind the wheel who understands the franchise and how to put it together. Marvel gave The Avengers time to develop (5 lead up films) and puts the final puzzle piece together in spectacular fashion, with Whedon doing his thing.

2. Life of Pi – On first watch I was like “wow this is really pretty”, but overall only mildly impressed with Ang Lee’s Life of Pi. Then after several conversations with my fellow Nerd 5 blogger, and seeing the film a second time, I am completely floored. Pi is not only beautiful visually, but also tells a beautiful story of hope, faith, and the unknown. Life of Pi completely won me over and out of the 5 directors nominated for best director this year, I’m hardcore rooting for Lee. 

1. Argo – Welcome back Mr. Affleck. Argo is the best film of the year (and Affleck’s lack of a directing nomination is the biggest snub that I can remember in Oscar history. He’s a good filmmaker! Everyone needs to stop holding the early ’00 against him). I’d be shocked if this doesn’t take home the Oscar for Best Picture. When I walked out the theatre the first time I saw it I stated “That that is the best film I’ve seen all year” and it still is. The ensemble does an amazing job capturing a time and place. Arkin and Goodman represent Hollywood in 1980’s to a tee, and Argo is a thrilling ride from start to finish. To address some of the complaints against the film’s ending being too “Hollywood” guess what everyone, IT’S A HOLLYWOOD FILM, and you’d be bored to tears if they did the ending in real time. That’s why it says BASED on a true story; we are not watching an unedited home video of events taking place. Go to YouTube for that. Go to Argo for an amazing film experience.

A List of ALL the Films Josh Saw in 2012:

The Woman in Black
The Secret World of Arrietty
John Carter
Jeff, Who Lives at Home
The Hunger Games
American Reunion
The Cabin in the Woods
The Raven
The Avengers
Dark Shadows
Moonrise Kingdom
Snow White and the Huntsman
Safety Not Guaranteed
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Brave
Wanderlust
The Amazing Spider-Man
Ice Age 4
The Dark Knight Rises
Step Up: Revolution
Argo
Cloud Atlas
Flight
Wreck-It Ralph
Lincoln
Life of Pi
Killing Them Softly
The Hobbit: An Unexpecte Journey
Bernie
Django Unchained
Skyfall
Les Miserables
Parental Guidance
Promised Land
This Is 40
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Looper
ParaNorman
Not Fade Away
The Impossible
Zero Dark Thirty
Silver Linings Playbook
Rust and Bone
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Anna Karenina
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Lorax
Liberal Arts
Trouble With The Curve

No comments:

Post a Comment