Saturday, June 23, 2012

Nerd 5 Follow Up: Top 5 Directors that Need to Make a Zombie Film

You've read their lists, now Jeff and Josh take a minute to compare notes (and prove that the other is crazy).


Jeff: So, thoughts after reading each other's lists? Any surprises?

Josh: I knew you would take issues with me calling 28 Day Later a zombie film... I guess we should have defined zombie a little better. I just went with basic man eating other man + virus = zombie.

Jeff: Boyle was fine, and though there are naysayers, it's one of the best zombie films out there. Boyle and Snyder are the only major directors with zombies that can run, and Boyle's I didn't mind.
Emmerich was a find! I would have never thought of Mr. 10,000 B.C., but he works!

Josh: I really just love the epic scope of all his films. Even smaller ones like Anonymous he makes feel huge.

Jeff: Partially because he likes to take an intimate story and stages it in an airplane hangar...

Josh: Laughter.

Jeff: What did you think of mine?

Josh: Let's start with Rain Johnson... I love Brick (thank you Jeffrey for introducing me) but I fell asleep during The Brother's Bloom and Looper doesn't look great. So convince me.

Jeff: Ok... This is like someone walking up to a Christian and saying "Why is Jesus cool? 10 words, go!" It takes faith, Josh. His films have a super high standard of quality, I think we can agree there, and all of his writing has a unique rhythm and energy to it. Johnson does great things visually on zero budget. If Robert Rodriguez is rock, Rain Johnson is jazz.

Josh: Yeah, like Kenny G.

Jeff: I still want to see that film, even if the charm of Johnson's writing sometimes gets in the way of telling a tight story.
I figured you would be making fun of my old standards, James Cameron and Ridley Scott.

Josh: I have no issue with Ridley Scott. I want to see his zombie film, just not the seven director's cuts that will follow.
As for Cameron.... well, he makes films the drones love to see over and over and over again. I'll give him that.

Jeff: I am a happy drone. Join the hive mind, Josh!

Josh: Have fun on Pandora.  I'll have fun being the only person in the world not seeing Avatar (cough Fern Gully cough) 2 and 3. If James Cameron doesn't write the script, I think I'd be okay with it.

Jeff: I will admit, the script is not the high point of that movie, but if you don't see it as a massive achievement, you are blind sir. Blind.
Plus, Cameron is an auteur. He can do anything, he's a good writer, a great production designer, a visionary, and his standard of quality (I would have pointed to True Lies as the weak spot) is insanely high. You put a wall in front of him; he'll punch through it like bugs bunny, and make billions doing it.

Josh: He is a great visual and technical director. I give you that. And Yes, Avatar is a massive achievement in film. BUT is that where we want film to go? All cgi? No real use for actors, expect as voice talent? You know as soon as the studios can find a way to make that affordable, they will all try for their own Avatar and cut real performances out altogether.

Jeff: Cameron’s zombie film would be as epic as Emmerich's, as rich as Ridley's, as well written as... well something, and make more money than currently exists on earth.

Josh: Let's just say I'm going to keep giving my money to Joss in order to knock Mr. Cameron off his high horse.

Jeff: I love Joss, but he can't even beat Titanic when he's flying on the back of The Avengers.
I LOVE him though... He really is my favorite of the two, and both of our top choices.

Josh: Time will tell, there's still a lot of money to be made on The Avengers (I'm pretty sure it's not been released in China yet). Joss is the best choice because he's a fan and a fantastic filmmaker. He understands that good visuals also need good characters and story to stand on.

Jeff: Absolutely. If you can forgive Cameron for Avatar, I'll forgive Joss for Alien Resurrection. Granted the studio probably didn't help him out with that one.

Josh: Let’s get to someone I know you have issues with, Nicholas Winding Refn.

Jeff: I hated Drive. There, I said it.
I liked what it tried to do, I liked how stylized it was and the callbacks to the '80s, but Ryan Goslings character made NO sense to me.

Josh: I'm sitting there watching Drive with my heart pounding in my throat! What was bad about Drive? It's not perfect, I'm not crazy, but there was a clear vision, focus, and style.

Jeff: Who wants to see a zombie film whose main character is a silent zombie in a scorpion jacket?

Josh: I understood his motivations at the time. Plus... that actually sounds super entertaining.

Jeff: Ok, granted. To finish up, what makes a GREAT zombie film, and thus, a great zombie director?

Josh: I would say a great zombie film has characters that you want to see survive, a story that comments on society, and an emotional core to the film. A zombie film isn’t about the zombies for me. It's all about the people.

Jeff: I completely agree. So beyond looking for directors who are visceral in their use of violence (which I think is a requirement) we want directors who can build their own worlds and fill them with human characters. We need directors who understand that if we care about each person, we'll care about their world, and by doing we can care about the ghouls who are tearing it apart.


To you, dear reader, don’t let us do all the talking! Let us know what you think and join in the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment