Sunday, December 1, 2013

Nerd 5 Presents: The Top 5 Films I’m Most Thankful For, 2013 Edition

            Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all, I couldn't let this weekend go by without speaking on the obvious subject; the things that I am thankful for. Since this blogs’ focus is usually film it gives me a good reason to write The Top 5 Films I’m Most Thankful For, 2013 Edition. This, if I’m being honest, is nothing more clever rouse to talk about the people, places, and things I’m most thankful for secretly wrapped up in discussion about films that I adore.

             How does a film become one that I am thankful for? First off it has to be a film that I endlessly enjoy. Second, I need to have watched or purchased the film this year. Finally, it needs to be more than just a good film, it needs to remind me of the things that I am thankful for. I whole hearted recommend each of the following five films and send out my sincerest thanks for everyone who made this year special. This week’s films are in particular order. This blog post is very much about me, Josh, and less about the films; just a quick heads up this one gets personal for a more traditional review or top 5 check back next week.

5. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) – This year I am thankful for the city of Seattle. It has been a very welcoming new home for me (in spite of a day three car-break-in incident). It’s been a
wonderful new playground for me to explore artistically, professionally, personally. Seattle has quelled my allergies! (As much as they can be.) I can’t think of place I’d rather be at this moment. If there is one quintessential Seattle film for this 90s kid it’s 10 Things I Hate About You. In the summer of 1999 I was 14 years old, that summer I discovered a love for film, theatre, and a ton of things that would define me to this day; and along comes 10 Things I Hate About You based upon Shakespeare’s play Taming of the Shrew featuring a cast list that would grow up together and take Hollywood by storm; Heath Ledger, Julia Styles, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt to name a few. 10 Things I Hate About You is 90s magic and captures a generation very well. In 2013 I’m thankful for 10 Things because of the remembrance of the past and joy the future.   

4. Toy Story 3 (2010) – This year I am thankful for my Tri-City Family. Yes, that’s a lot of people. From family in the traditional since, family in the non-traditional since, and family in the since of there’s no other words to describe how I feel about them, I am very thankful all for you. I am super blessed to have an amazing support system in my hometown of people who love and care for me, and when I visit make me feel like a returning superhero. I learn so much from my students, care so much for my family and miss what I left behind, I find myself searching for it every day now. I keep you all in my heart every moment of every day and you help me strive to become a better person. There’s a reason why we refer to the past as the good old days. Leaving is never easy, change is hard, and growing up and moving on are necessary parts of life; these are life lessons that I’ve learned this year and all of them are themes within the entire Toy Story franchise. But the final scenes of 2010’s Toy Story 3 are a perfect encapsulation of what we all feel when we have to leave behind things and people we love. If you’d prefer to not be spoiled for the end of Toy Story 3 skip to the next section. It feels like the franchise has been building to the final scene of Toy Story 3 ever since the first scene of Toy Story, which is amazing filmmaking. When Andy drives up to Bonnie’s house and prepares to give his toys to Bonnie it’s a beautiful and emotional moment that should have the best of us reaching for the tissues. We see Andy giving away a very loved part of his life, so he can make room for the new part of his life; even knowing the love and care that Woody, Buzz, Jessie, and all his friends are going to get it’s a painful for Andy; a moment that is meant for the adults in the audience and that kids will understand even more upon rewatch. I am thankful in 2013 for Toy Story 3 because on the eve of my move to Seattle I found myself finishing cleaning, packing, and watching the Toy Story Trilogy. By the end of the very long night, my apartment was clean, all my stuffed packed and I was sleeping on an air mattress, with only my laptop and the end of Toy Story 3 in front of me. It was an unplanned poignant moment, that somewhere my brain had to know would happen, yet, was amazingly spontaneous and had me in massive amounts of tears, these tears are the reason I’m thankful for Toy Story 3
3. Wet Hot American Summer (2001) – This year I am thankful for my fellow SCT Interns. Guys, I love you and this summer was made by seeing you every day; such a talented, kind, and awesome group of people. I worried about finding a connection with the people I was going to be working with, I worried about finding a support system in a new city – I worried… pointlessly because after the first day I knew that I was in an amazing group of people I was with, who would help shape the next chapter of my life. For those who aren’t in Seattle anymore, I miss your face, hope to see you soon, and that all is well. For those who are still here in Seattle, you’ve been the greatest group of friends a sloth could ask for! There’s one film in particular I found myself returning to this summer, (in fact, I watched it three times including once in theatres at the awesome Central Cinemas) Wet Hot American Summer is a great parody of 80s teen comedies, set a summer camp and follows a group of counselors who are surviving and thriving on the last day of camp. Written, directed and staring members of the comedy troupe The State, this film encapsulates everything that 80s teen cinema tried to be, while also being a great film, with character you care about and root for. It’s the perfect kind of satire because it works as a film and it also works as a parody.  The films themes of friendship, inside jokes, and survival are what makes me thankful for Wet Hot American Summer.   

2. The Odd Couple (1968) – This year I am thankful for my roommate, co-blog partner and one of my best friends, Jeff. A person who welcomed me with open arms into his apartment knowing that I couldn’t afford to a full share of rent and that my initial job was only three months long, and if it extended the pay check would not be much higher; a person who is always willing to listen when I need a friend and a person who opened his life to me and never once questioned it. Thanks Jeff. I couldn’t possibly think of a better film to represent the last 6 months then Neil Simon’s The Odd Couple. Staring Walter Matthew as Oscar (the sports loving, slobbish guys guy) and Jack Lemon as Felix (an uptight, down on his luck neat freak) and the two of them become roommates. Although Jeff and I are not perfect comparisons to Oscar and Felix we are an odd couple, the yin and yang that make up a great team. I’m thankful for The Odd Couple because it reminds me of everything that is great with my roommate, we may not always see eye to eye on things (you know the important things like if James Cameron is a good director) but we always have each other’s backs, through thick and thin and this is what matters and that is what I am thankful for.    

1. Say Anything… (1989)– This year I am thankful for love. I warn you right now this paragraph is going to be me gushing about how much I love my Ann and how lucky I am to have her in my life. Through all the change and all the ups and downs of 2013 there’s been one consistent, one goal, and thing that keeps me keeping on. Ann. From day one with her there’s been one word that has been a constant, hope. Hope in the future, hope for the present and hope from the past and I hope beyond all hopes that I don’t have to spend one day without her in my life. How does this tie into Say Anything…? (Besides the fact that, that also happens to be the name of her favorite band) Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack) is a psychical representation of hope in one of the greatest love stories of modern times. Dobler has no reason to think that he can get Diane Court (Ione Skye) and yet goes for it anyway. Some of us get lucky and get the girl, if you’ve not seen Say Anything… do yourself a favor, find it and see it. If you’ve seen it Say Anything… is worth a rewatch as it’s a wonderful film, with a beautiful story that holds up all the way through today. But Mr. Dobler and hope are the reasons I’m thankful for Say Anything…

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!     

-          Josh

2 comments:

  1. Hi My name is Bruno Rico' just want to share my experience with the world on how i got my love back and saved my marriage... I was married for 7years with 2kids and we lived happily until things started getting ugly and we had fights and arguments almost every time... it got worse at a point that she filed for divorce... I tried my best to make her change her mind & stay with me cause i loved her with all my heart and didn't want to loose her but everything just didn't work out... she moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for divorce... I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when someone introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster who eventually helped me out... I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try reluctantly cause I was desperate and left with no choice... He did special prayers and used roots and herbs... Within 7 days she called me and was sorry for all the emotional trauma she had cost me, moved back to the house and we continue to live happily, the kids are happy too and we are expecting our third child. I have introduced him to a lot of couples with problems across the world and they have had good news... Just thought I should share my experience cause I strongly believe someone out there need's it... You can email him via eromosalelovespell@outlook.com Don't give up just yet, the different between 'Ordinary' & 'Extra-Ordinary' is the 'Extra' so make extra effort to save your marriage/relationship if it's truly worth it. you can also call (Dr Eromosale) on +2347034673139.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to feel bad just because your lover left you, When you have someone like Dr.Ekpen Temple who is capable to bring your lover back to you within 48 hours. At first i was a novice to this kind of thing, But after reading a lot of review online about Dr.Ekpen Temple i felt like giving him an opportunity to prove himself. So i took the contact information of Dr.Ekpen Temple which were +2347050270218 or via email: ekpentemple@gmail.com And my heart was filled with joy because just within 48 hours my lover returned. Thanks you Sir.

    ReplyDelete