Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Talkin' In the Movies: This is the End SPOILERS!


As always we join Jeff and Josh in the middle of their conversation…

JEFF
So I felt a bit of a connection to this film where a group of friends are all under the same roof, since we're in that situation ourselves now. If we were trapped in our apartment for that long with only each other, do you see it going down the same way?

JOSH
Hmmmm… Does that make me Jay or Seth or Franco? Well, no one is Jonah Hill. I wish I could be Danny McBride... whatever our “casting” there would be far less demon genitalia in our situation.

JEFF
So, to keep that from "hanging in the wind" we should say right now that the big spoiler of this film, which they did a GREAT job of keeping out of the advertising, is that This is the End is set against the actual, wrath of God, good-old-fashioned Biblical apocalypse. The end has come, the devil is walking the earth, and apparently he's packin'.

I loved this turn, and the fact that we didn't see it coming. It makes perfect sense in the context of this story, and at times this plot makes profound statements about Hollywood culture. I personally expected the cast to goofily fight off an alien invasion, or slay yetis, or any number of scenarios that are far less interesting and much easier to ignore. Instead we're set up with a premise that gives and gives and gives, with a lot of laughs along the way that are really earned.

JOSH
And on another level it actually allows the film to look at how we as American view ourselves, our personal morals, and our society's morals. It was a wonderfully subtle way to get a little message into the film while never ever openly focusing on it. It was a nice reveal and I think the mystery really carries the first half of the film, before everyone buys into what's happening.

Let's talk about the cast playing themselves.

I really enjoyed this aspect of the film. It allowed us to have preconceived notions about the characters but also going on the journey with them to see if were right or wrong. There were some very well defined characters types created within the gimmick of actors playing themselves. They gave us what we thought they’re all like, and then by the end of the film they turned that image on its head (specifically the main characters of Jay, Seth, Franco, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, and Craig Robinson).

JEFF
I thought it was a brilliant move and a ton of fun. Obviously they were playing very heightened versions of themselves, essentially characters, but it allowed the audience immediate access to the underlying joke of the movie, which is that we perceive actors as selfish, drug addled, petty people who can't face life without an army of personal assistants or be held accountable for their actions. The notion we all have that if the rapture did come, that of course no one in Hollywood is going to make it in the first round. By starting with such strong "characters" they got to capitalize on our expectation and portray a much more satisfying arc toward humanity than if they had tried to play honest, three dimensional, emotionally aware people like I'm sure they are in real life (I hope). For instance, if they were truly playing themselves and people were dying all around them of earthquakes and fires, they might have wondered about the fate of their wives? Or kids? Their "characters" freed them from this, while their actual friendships served as pre-existing depth so that they could hit the ground running.

You lived in LA, did this seem like a pretty genuine version of how God's wrath would strike people down there?

JOSH
Well... not my LA. I mean I wasn’t at parties with world famous celebrities, so I can't say what they would do. Contrary to popular belief, LA people are people are too. BUT what was very fun for me is the opening sequence of the film where Seth picks up Jay at LAX. I've been right where they’re standing and have eaten at that same Carl's Jr. after picking people up from the airport (it's got a really great location). That was very fun and made me instantly feel like I was in LA and that these people are real.

What I enjoyed the most about the opening was Seth and Jay’s conversation in the car about Gluten. That simple running joke set the comedic tone for the entire film. I'm not going to go as far as to call the film brilliant, but it has some really clever comedy and really used its situations well. There were some clichĂ© and low brow jokes, but I get it. That's who these people (Seth Rogen and friends) are. To get to the gold of this film you have wade through some garbage.

This Is The End really hits its stride when dealing with its characters relationships. This is where the film shines and some of the best moments come from. Whether it’s the main story of two best friends trying to reconnect, everybody hating on the INSANE Danny McBride (my personal favorite part of the film), or how Jonah Hill... You know what, no... I'm saying a word about Hill because the less you know about him the better. Let's just say awesome and hilarious.

This film works because we can see ourselves in these characters. Yes, we're not celebrities, but we all have a group of friends with whom we do dumb stuff and get into crazy situations. This is the End really examines how that group would perform under pressure.
 
The SIFF Uptown here in Seattle has doubts about Baruchel...
JEFF
True!

JOSH
Why thank you, I think most things I say are true

JEFF
Okay… Letting that one go.

The other fun thing about actor's "playing themselves" was we got a lot of great cameos to open the film. The device of this being a party at James Franco's new mansion brought in a ton of people I'd love to party with. Probably the best are Michael Cera, Rhianna, Jason Segel, and of course, the one they couldn't NOT show off in the trailer because it's THAT good, Emma Watson.

JOSH
So that's what Rhianna looks like! I missed her name in the film and had no idea who that was punching Cera in the face. I was like, “good for that random chick who got to punch Cera...”

We've come to a point of disagreement! I didn't like Watson in this film. Not her acting specifically, but what they gave her to do. I think I would have disliked any actress in the part. It was pointless and dumb... I always like seeing her in films but really couldn’t have cared less for her section of the movie and could have trimmed it out. Also she was in all the trailers that I saw. So I wasn’t surprised.

JEFF
It did serve the purpose of answering one big apocalypse question: what happens when society is removed and five guys are in close quarters with one girl? Any post-apocalypse story deals with this fundamental gender issue, and it never ends pretty. In this case they get in a couple great jokes, Emma Watson get's to show them who is boss, and she goes on her way quickly so we can get back to the main story. I knew the issue would be covered in SOME way, and honestly I'm just glad that Danny McBride didn't just start raping the other men in the house. I was 90% sure that would happen, knowing that the creators of this movie have that sense of humor. There were a LOT of things about this movie that weren't classy, but I thought how they used Emma Watson to handle that plot point was one of them.

JOSH
I'm not really sure anything about that scene where they talk about rape was classy... It's handled well enough but I honestly didn't need it.

JEFF
They talk about how they WON'T rape her and don't want to accidentally give her that impression, which leads to a misunderstanding. A small amount of innocence in this film that I really appreciated.

JOSH
That's fair.

JEFF
So there were a lot of things that weren't classy about this film... including a fair amount of demon genitals.

JOSH
Agreed and I actually think that will hurt this film in the end.

JEFF
Neither of us are prudes, and the devil isn't the most appropriate kind of guy, but there was a lot of devil dork.

JOSH
A little bit of low brow humor goes a long way

JEFF
I'm glad we didn't see it in 3D…
JOSH
it's not available in 3D... just saying.

I'm not saying that there should have been zero crude moments, some I loved, really loved, and this film would have been lacking without a few. They just went to that well a little too often. I think for me the main problem is that it's a bit too long and if they had cut a few of these moments they could have had a tighter film that would stand the test of time a little better. Thinking about its place in comedy film history, I'm not sure that This Is The End will make a big mark. Although it could, would, and should have. It's great, but I’m not sure how it will hold up 10, 15 or 20 years from now. Come to think of it, will this film hold up in 5 years? I think it's very much a product of its time, and seeing it now is important to the enjoyment of the film. I hope it does well and get's good word of mouth because it's probably the most innovative and interesting comedy in a while... probably since the first Hangover film.

Hey, another good thing, no chance this will have a sequel!

JEFF
It's true that in 15 years the cameos won't mean a thing, though with any luck the characters might.

JOSH
Very fair point! I think these characters and situation will hold... if people give the film a chance. I'm thinking this becomes a college cult comedy in the next few years.

There is a lot that I could talk about with This Is The End, but with comedy the less you know the better... This article wasn’t too spoilery at all, and that was intentional because good comedy needs a little bit of surprise.

The last thing that I wanted to touch on was the Ghostbusters like effects with the demons, which I LOVED! Really added to the film and set a tone, mood, and style instantly.

JEFF
Yes! The Ray Harryhausen-type demons were a great choice and just seemed more "metal" than if they'd been done any other way. It gave the creatures character, and by extension created a world beyond James Franco's living room. Deceptively simple character design like this will also really help this film stand the test of time.

I agree that this comedy was a breath of fresh air after soooooo many stupid sequels and remakes. Writer/Directors Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg went WAY out there with a high concept premise and managed to do it on a micro-buget. This movie LOOKS like a 125 million dollar film, but was made for 35. That's unbelievable, and allowed them to make EXACTLY the film the wanted to make. If they had had a summer blockbuster budget, the unique voice we loved, dick jokes and all, would have been stripped away, along with all the meat of the premise. No one wants to spend "real" money on a couple stars the rapture forgot.

Thanks for joining us again. Get in on the conversation. Let us know what you thought of This is the End.

No comments:

Post a Comment